Residence students are not permitted to bring personal refrigerators into the residence buildings. Students interested in having a refrigerator in their room can make arrangements with the University's contractor Coldex, for rental of a 3 or 5 cubic foot refrigerator. This policy ensures all refrigerators entering the residence buildings are properly cleaned, energy efficient and in good working order: this assists the University in providing a safe and healthy living environment in residence and contributes to the University's sustainability efforts.
- Bunk and Loft rooms contain one refrigerator at no extra cost
- Only one refrigerator is permitted per bedroom
- Apartment and Suite units contain a full sized refrigerator in the common kitchen area
- Traditional-style residences have kitchen facilities on each floor, where a shared, full-sized refrigerator is available for your use.
5 Step Guide to Renting a Fridge
Have a roommate? Make arrangements to share!
Visit the Application Status step in the Residence Portal to locate the contact information of roomate(s). Through the portal, you can message your roomates to see if they are interested in sharing the cost of a fridge.
Tip: Ask your roommates to send you an e-mail confirming they wish to share. Make sure you are clear on everyone's commitment before ordering – don't make assumptions.
One person takes responsibility for contacting Coldex to complete the booking and pay for the fridge.
Tip: Only one person's name is allowed on the rental contract. Make sure you educate yourself on the responsibilities as a renter. Review the rental agreement in full and ask Coldex any questions you may have before signing. Remember – the rental agreement is with Coldex, not McMaster University.
Make arrangements for quick reimbursement to the person who paid.
Tip: Send an e-money transfer to the individual prior to arriving to campus. It is safe, convenient, and removes one more task from a busy move-in experience.
When completing the Roommate Agreement (shortly after move-in), be sure to discuss your expectations of sharing and cleaning the fridge.
Tip: Avoid packing lots of food and beverages that require refrigeration until you have discussed how you will be allocating fridge space with your roommate(s).
As the year concludes, make sure everyone assists in emptying and cleaning the unit to avoid additional charges from Coldex.
Tip: Set up a monthly cleaning schedule that shares the responsibility throughout the year.
- If you make arrangements in advance with Coldex, your refrigerator will be in your room at move-in; Coldex will return at the end of the academic year and retrieve the unit. It's that simple!
- As personal refrigerators are not permitted, if you bring one at move-in, it will not be unloaded and you will be asked to send it home with your family and friends.
Housing & Conference Services appreciates your cooperation and understanding as we work towards providing a safe and comfortable environment for you, while also setting responsible sustainability goals.