Facts to Remember about Bed bugs:
- Although a nuisance, bed bugs are not a health threat
- An adult bed bug is approximately the size of an apple seed
- Bed bugs bite – bite marks may appear in rows and clusters
- They are most active at night
- Be aware of the signs of bed bugs when you are staying in hotels or vacationing and always launder your clothing when you return.
- In consultation with our pest control contractor (Orkin), there is no mattress, mattress cover or bed frame on the market that can protect 100% from bed bugs. The mattresses we use in residence were chosen to prevent mould & mildew. Our mattresses are cleaned annually during our spring cleaning operations that occur between May – August each year.
Think you’ve got bed bugs in your room? Here’s what to do:
- Visit your closest Service Centre and speak to a Housing Assistant.
- Find a sample and place it in the ziplock bag provided from the service desk. Be sure to label the bag and alert the desk that you have a confirmed sample.
- Plan to stay in your room. It’s important to remember – if you stay in a friend’s room, you could be passing the problem along!
- Within 24hrs of reporting a bed bug has been found, a representative from the Pest Control company will complete a thorough inspection.
- If bed bugs are found to be present you will be required to:
- Remove and launder all bed linens and clothing. Bags for your laundry will be provided along with a courtesy laundry card.
- Clean your room to eliminate clutter to facilitate and improve the effectiveness of the treatment
- Leave your room for 5 hours in order for the treatment to be completed; it is safe to return after this time. A follow-up treatment will be scheduled two weeks later.
Please note if bed bugs are confirmed, you will not be relocated due to the increased risk of spreading the pests, and no refund or reduction of residence fees will occur.