What to do if you have COVID symptoms (or test positive on a rapid or PCR test) in residence:
1. Please self-isolate and contact your Residence Life Area Coordinator, CA, the Service Centre, or e-mail email@example.com to arrange isolation. You will be contacted by HCS to follow up on your notification.
2. If you have received a positive rapid or PCR test, please use the COVID-19 reporting tool in Mosaic. Please let your roommate know that you are symptomatic and that they should also prepare to self-isolate.
3. Get ready to be moved to an isolation room, unless you have a private ensuite washroom, live in a suite or apartment style room, or choose to isolate at home.
- Pack essentials for a stay of up to 10 days. Pack comfort items, clothing, toiletries, technology, chargers and anything needed for academics.
4. Complete the McMaster Student Absence Form (MSAF) for academic considerations due to illness and contact your professors.
5. You will receive a meal service while in isolation, and charges will be billed back to your meal plan. Please notify us of any dietary restrictions and indicate if you wish to receive a vegan diet or a diet that includes meat products (all Halal).
6. Wellness and comfort check-ins will be conducted by Housing Staff periodically during your isolation.
What happens if your roommate has symptoms of COVID-19?
- Residence students who share a space with roommate(s) are considered household members.
- Current provincial health measures indicate that when an individual is symptomatic, all household members must also self-isolate. This means that if your roommate is symptomatic, all others who share a residence space must also isolate.
- Current isolation guidelines are 5 days from symptom onset AND until their symptoms have been improving for 24 hours for fully-vaccinated individuals.
- If you begin to develop symptoms, you should follow the isolation directions for symptomatic individuals.
Isolation times will depend on your isolation circumstances:
If you are isolating with your roommate, you both must isolate for 5-10 days depending on vaccination status and until symptoms in both parties have been improving for 24 hours.
If you are isolating separately from your roommate, your individual symptoms will determine if your isolation will be 5 days or more. If you start having symptoms while in isolation, your isolation will be extended beyond the initial 5 days until your symptoms have been improving for 24 hours.
Any violations of the Quarantine Act will be escalated to Campus Security and appropriate local authorities/agents responsible for the enforcement of the Quarantine Act.