Instructions for Saturday, March 21 Move-Out
Your health and safety during move-out is our top priority. To help Saturday run smoothly we have put the following measures into place. We appreciate that this is a stressful time and your cooperation with our staff will help the day run smoothly.
Starting Saturday, March 21 at 8:30 a.m. move-out parking attendants wearing orange safety vests will assist with traffic flow and directions. Please be courteous as many of these parking attendants are student staff working hard to help make this process easier for both parents and residence students.
For Students Moving Out of Bates, Mary E. Keyes, Matthews, Moulton and Wallingford
Vehicles for students living on the west side of campus should enter campus via Cootes Paradise.
- Students that live in Bates and Moulton should use Parking Lot Q (in front of Bates) to park and load their belongings
- Students living in Mary E. Keyes, Matthews, and Wallingford should follow the signs to access the Mary E. Keyes circle near to the bus station and around the E.T. Clarke building (where the smoke stack is).
- We recommend that vehicles in Mary E. Keyes circle should park with their trunks to the curb vs. parallel to maximize space and efficiency.
For Students Moving Out of Brandon, Edwards, Hedden, Les Prince, McKay, PGCLL, Whidden and Woodstock
Vehicles for students living on the north side of camps should access campus through the Sterling Street entrance. Please note that no vehicles will be permitted to park in front of the Commons building.
- Students living in Edwards, McKay, PGCLL, and Whidden should park in Parking Lot E.
- Students living in Brandon, Hedden, PGCLL, and Woodstock should park in Parking Lot G.
- Students living in Les Prince can utilize the pull through circle for quick loading of vehicles. If you have a lot of packing to do upon arrival to campus, please park in Lot H instead. This will keep the loading zone clear for emergency vehicles.
All traffic should exit campus north through Lot H.
Please note that shopping carts will not be provided to help with student belongings.
Residence Status Update Form
All residence students are required to complete the Residence Status Update Form, regardless of their current residence status. To access the form, please:
- Log in to the Residence Portal at residence.mcmaster.ca
- Click Continue to Portal
- Click Residence Status Update
- Complete the form
before moving out of residence:
- All students must complete the Residence Status Update form.
- Please remove all items from your residence room, empty and clean your Coldex Fridge. Make sure to leave your Coldex Fridge plugged in. (Don’t worry! We’ll take care of that.)
- Take out all garbage from your room and put it in the garbage room.
- Check that everything that came with your room is left (recycling bin, garbage bin, etc.).
- Heating units with speed settings should be turned off
- Close Windows and Blinds.
- Turn off lights.
- LOCK your room / apartment / suite door behind you.
- Check your residence mailbox before you return your keys. Any mail left in mailboxes after a student’s move out date will be “Returned to Sender”
- Return your room / apartment / suite key(s), access card and mailbox key to your designated Service Centre — the lobbies of either Mary E. Keyes Residence Building or Commons Building — to complete the check-out process.
Any mail that is sent to McMaster for you will be “Returned to Sender”. It is your responsibility to notify all correspondents of your summer address a few weeks prior to moving out of residence.
International Students – We Got You!
If you’re an international student in residence and you are unable to return home, we are committed to supporting you in residence. Please complete the Residence Status Update Form so we know how to assist.
What happens if I check-out of residence, but then can no longer get home?
If your travel situation changes and you are no longer able to leave Canada, you will be allowed to return to residence until alternative arrangements can be made.