Unit and Position Description
The Community Support Assistant will be responsible for:
- Supporting the students living in residence during the summer months that are a part of the Student Summer Accommodation program and the Service Centre
- Responding to calls on the coverage phone based on departmental standards
- Conduct rounds of the building and be available on campus according to departmental standards
- Run programming throughout the course of the summer months
- Support students’ well-being and liaise with members of the Residence Life and Conference & Event Services teams based on established guidelines
- Support the Service Centres by assisting with project work, arrivals/departures, and lockouts based on department guidelines
- Deliver interactive activities to participants.
- Assist customers in-person, via email or on the phone with routine inquiries.
- Ensure the physical, mental, and social safety of all participants. Report issues to Supervisor.
- Update and maintain a variety of correspondences, transactions, documents, and related information.
- Liaise with a variety of internal stakeholders relating to student and guest services.
- Conduct rounds of building throughout the day and meet with Residence team to discuss building issues.
- Attend all meetings and training sessions required.
- Seek out assistance and escalate issues when necessary, based on established departmental guidelines.
- Education: Undergraduate student status at McMaster University.
- Experience: Minimum of 1 semester previous Community Advisor experience. (4 months)
- Excellent communication skills: listening, written, verbal, facilitation, negotiation, and presentation.
- Demonstrated good judgment and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a larger team.
- Demonstrated leadership skills
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative.
- Uses creativity when developing programming for students.
- Demonstrated experience using StarRez and Microsoft 365 is considered an asset.
Certified in First-Aid and CPR-C is considered an asset.
Community Support Assistant position is a live-on position.
To deliver exceptional customer service, the Community Support Assistant will need to be available for shifts from Monday to Sunday and must be able to work flexible hours, including early morning, evening and weekend shifts.
- FT Timeline: May 1, 2022 to August 15, 2022
No Time-off Requests: June 1 – 14, and August 13 2022