The Guest Experience Assistant (GEA) will act as a representative of McMaster University Conference & Event Services and liaison between Conference Organizers and all internal operating partners to ensure a high standard of guest service is achieved. This position provides a visible and accessible front-line presence in order to anticipate, understand and act upon all client needs.
Nature and Scope
The Guest Experience Assistant must have excellent interpersonal and communication skills and be willing to commit their efforts to delivering an outstanding experience for all guests at McMaster University. This position requires an individual who is self-motivated, takes initiative, and is capable of functioning both independently and in a team setting. The Guest Experience Assistant is professional, communicates effectively with others, and has a positive attitude. They are organized, detail orientated, and demonstrate creativity and sound problem-solving skills.
All Guest Experience Assistants (GEAs) will be responsible for:
- Assist with all client related activities including (but limited to) bookings, overnight accommodations and overall experience.
- Support and lead conferences and events to success
- Respond to calls on the coverage phone based on departmental standards.
- Conduct site tours for clients interested in hosting their event at McMaster.
- Support clients with audio-visual (A/V) equipment training, and troubleshoot as required
- Support the McMaster Events Breakfast program
- Assist guests during their stay as part of a visiting group
- Ensure needs are met and understood between all parties
- Perform all other duties and tasks as assigned.
This position has multiple portfolios including:
- Liaise with clients and act as the primary point of contact before, during and after the conference/event.
- Anticipate, understand and respond to all client inquiries and needs including accommodations, space bookings, and other promoted services.
- Collaborate with campus and community partners.
- Liaise with clients and act as the primary point of contact before, during and after the conference/event. Assist with requests for campus event room bookings including Signature Venues, furniture rentals and photo permits.
- Support day-to-day operations within the Service Centre including daily check-in/out reporting, processing payments, and key auditing.
- Provide meal/break relief to the Service Centre team.
- Deliver an exceptional customer experience.
- Utilize effective problem solving to meet and exceed the needs of guests and clients.
- Education: High school diploma or equivalent.
- Experience: 6 months of previous customer service experience.
- Hamilton tourism and attraction knowledge is an asset
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Publisher)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision, take initiative and be proactive.
- Ability to embrace new technology and software
- Possess a G class driving license
- Previous hospitality experience preferred
To deliver exceptional customer service, the Guest Experience Assistant will need to be available for shifts from Monday to Sunday and must be able to work flexible hours, including early morning, evening and weekend shifts.
Hourly rate: starting at $16.50 an hour