The Housing Assistant will act as an ambassador of Housing and Conference Services. This position provides a visible and accessible front line presence in order to anticipate, understand and act upon all guest, resident and stakeholder needs.
The Housing Assistant must have excellent interpersonal and communication skills and be willing to commit their efforts to delivering an outstanding experience for all guests at McMaster University. This position requires an individual who is self-motivated, takes initiative and is capable of functioning both independently and in a team setting. The Housing Assistant is professional, communicates effectively with others, and has a positive attitude. They are organized, detail oriented, and demonstrative creativity and sound problem solving skills.
This role acts as a support to residents, hotel & conference guests as well as our many partners at McMaster. An understanding of privacy and security are a necessity of the position.
- Respond to telephone, email and in-person inquiries regarding Housing and Conference Services, the University, and the greater community.
- Receive and resolve student and guest concerns.
- Provide information to students and guests on filling out various forms and sign-in sheets.
- Gather and compile support materials for residence students and guests.
- Assemble and prepare outgoing mailings and packages.
- Write a variety of documents such as correspondence, guides, directions and instructions.
- Gather information and input data regarding requests for maintenance, repairs, and cleaning for residence facilities.
- Issue security access cards and keys to appropriate users based on established safety and security requirements.
- Monitor inventory of access cards and keys and references moving records to confirm accuracy.
- Determine lock changes and changes based on discrepancies and when requested, apply to accounts.
- Deactivate reported lost or stolen cards.
- Monitor alarms and contact security services to report issues.
- Monitor and reconcile cash transactions and prepare daily fund deposits.
- Calculate fees for guests and students attending conferences and staying in residence accommodations.
- Attend and participate in a variety of meetings.
- Inspect student rooms for damages. Track student damage charges.
- Use a voice recorder to transcribe information.
- Maintain filing systems, both electronic and hard copy.
- Conduct web searches for information on travel, entertainment, and other visitor inquiries.
- Update, maintain, and verify information in a variety of databases and spreadsheets.
- Contact security to report issues.
- Sort incoming mail.
- Maintain confidentiality of residence information.
- Education: Secondary School diploma.
- Experience: Requires 18 months of relevant experience.
- Hamilton tourism and attraction knowledge
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Publisher)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to embrace new technology and software
- Possess a G class driving license
- Previous hospitality experience preferred