The Residence Life Project Assistant will work closely with members of the Residence Life Management Team (RLMT) to assist with a variety of functions including, but not limited to, resource organization and distribution, supporting the Guest Registration Assistants, and attending/supporting residence events. The incumbent will have the opportunity to work on various projects to support the daily function of various Residence Life aspects such as student staff hiring and training, first year residence curriculum development, residence move-in/out and/or support living learning community programing (ex: innovation and society). This position requires an individual who is self-motivated, takes initiative, and is capable of functioning both independently and in a team setting. The Project Assistant is professional, communicates effectively with others, and has a positive attitude. They are organized, reliable, and demonstrate a passion for supporting the first-year residence experience.
Under close supervision, assist with the planning, organization, and implementation of various projects and events for a Department or Faculty. Work is performed in accordance with established guidelines.
- Provide administrative support for projects, events and meetings.
- Respond or redirect general inquiries in-person, by telephone or via email.
- Update information regarding projects and events on various communication channels.
- Provide virtual and some on-site support for projects, events and meetings.
- Collect, update and maintain files, correspondence and records according to established guidelines.
- Education: High school diploma or equivalent.
- Experience: 6 months of related experience.
- Ability to organize and manage multiple projects thoroughly and accurately and follow through on appropriate timelines.
- Ability to develop excellent professional interpersonal relationships and communicate effectively.
- Demonstrated creativity and sound problem solving skills.
- Demonstrated customer service skills, responsibility, and leadership abilities.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision, take initiative and be proactive.
- Shows maturity, responsibility and a positive attitude towards the tasks at hand.
- Working knowledge of computers, database management (Microsoft Excel) and basic design programs (Microsoft Publisher, Adobe Creative Suite (ie. Photoshop, Illustrator & InDesign).
Knowledge of the McMaster Residence Life system and programs is considered an asset.
This position includes primarily indoor working conditions but will include outdoor working environments. The Project Assistant generally works Monday to Friday, 9am-5pm but must be able to work flexible hours based on operational needs. For example, supporting Guest Registration on Thursday – Saturdays from 9:00PM – 2:30AM at least once a week.
- PT Timeline: September 2021 – April 2022 (15 hours/week)