The goal of Housing and Conference Services is to provide an intellectual and social residence community conducive to the pursuit of academic study, personal development, and that meets the changing needs of a diverse student population. Residence Life supports student success by encouraging growth, educating character, and enhancing the university experience.
The Residence Life Project Assistant will work closely with members of the Residence Life Management Team (RLMT) to assist with a variety of functions including, but not limited to, resource organization and distribution, supporting the Guest Registration Assistants, and attending/supporting residence events. The incumbent will have the opportunity to work on various projects to support the daily function of various Residence Life aspects such as student staff hiring and training, first year residence curriculum development, residence move-in/out and/or support living learning community programming (ex: innovation and society).
This position requires an individual who is self-motivated, takes initiative, and is capable of functioning both independently and in a team setting. The Project Assistant is professional, communicates effectively with others, and has a positive attitude. They are organized, reliable, and demonstrate a passion for supporting the first-year residence experience.
Under close supervision, assist with the planning, organization, and implementation of various projects and events for a Department or Faculty. Work is performed in accordance with established guidelines.
- Provide administrative support for projects, events and meetings.
- Respond or redirect general inquiries in-person/virtually, by telephone, MS Teams or via email.
- Update information regarding projects and events on various communication channels.
- Provide virtual and some on-site support for projects, events and meetings.
- Collect, update and maintain files, correspondence and records according to established guidelines.
- Support the hiring process of student staff roles.
- Coordinate staff schedules, team meetings and training sessions.
- Support residence life student staff with troubleshooting issues as the arise from students and guests.
- Education: High school diploma or equivalent.
- Experience: 6 months of related experience.
- Ability to organize and manage multiple projects thoroughly and accurately and follow through on appropriate timelines.
- Ability to develop excellent professional interpersonal relationships and communicate effectively.
- Demonstrated creativity and sound problem solving skills.
- Demonstrated customer service skills, responsibility, and leadership abilities.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision, take initiative and be proactive.
- Shows maturity, responsibility and a positive attitude towards the tasks at hand.
- Working knowledge of computers, database management (Microsoft Excel) and basic design programs (Microsoft Publisher, Adobe Creative Suite (ie. Photoshop, Illustrator & InDesign)).
- Knowledge of the McMaster Residence Life system and programs is considered an asset
- This position includes primarily indoor working conditions but will include outdoor working environments.
- The Project Assistant generally works Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. but must be able to work flexible hours based on operational needs.
- For example, supporting Guest Registration on Thursday through Saturday from 9:00 p.m. – 2:30 a.m., at least once a week.
- Part Time Timeline: September 2023 – April 2024 (15 hours/week)