The primary purpose of the ROP is to assist in the coordination and implementation of an effective orientation/transition program for incoming residence students, in collaboration with the Residence Life Staff (RLS). Leading a team of 7 Residence Orientation Assistants (ROAs), as well as 130+ Welcome Week reps, you will provide direction, and put your decision making and organizational skills to the test. The ROP also provides administrative support and event logistical support for a variety of recruitment and orientation events and activities.
The ROP reports directly to the Orientation and Assessment Coordinator and will take direction from the Residence Life Management Team (RLMT) regarding all programming. The ROP will also work with the university-wide Orientation Committee to help plan and support university-wide Welcome Week programming efforts. Upon the completion of Welcome Week, the ROP will assist with the evaluation and wrap-up of Welcome Week.
- Assist with the planning, coordination and implementation of recruitment and orientation events and activities for Housing & Conference Services.
- Assist with the selection and training of student leaders.
- Assist in the development of the Residence Welcome Week schedule.
- Aid in the coordination for the recruitment and training of student volunteers for various events.
- Coordinate Residence Orientation rep suit designs and ordering responsibilities.
- Coordinate the purchase, distribution, and effective use of departmental resources.
- Assist the Residence Life Area Coordinators (RLAC) with the coordination of Move-In for the assigned residence hall(s).
- Assist with the development, delivery, and analysis of assessment activities.
- Identify and report any inappropriate behaviour of Residence Orientation Leaders to direct supervisor.
- Attend all required meetings and training sessions.
- Create and maintain a current list of contact information for Residence Orientation Leaders.
- Monitor budgets, in compliance with University policies and procedures and under direct supervision.
Ad hoc duties as assigned.
Education: Full-time student status (full-time undergraduate student is defined as one who is taking courses equivalent to at least 18 units between September 2023 and April 2024, or is enrolled in a full-time Co-op/outgoing Exchange program) and a minimum sessional (September-December) GPA of 6.0 must be achieved.
Experience: Previous experience with orientation at McMaster (or equivalent event coordination and leadership experience) considered an asset.
- Demonstrated organizational skills in order to successfully manage multiple priorities and deadlines.
- Proven ability to establish and maintain excellent rapport with others, in order to effectively lead the team throughout the summer and Welcome Week
- Excellent communication skills, including: listening, verbal, written, negotiation, facilitation and presentation
- Demonstrated positive attitude and proven ability to motivate and support others
- Demonstrated maturity and ability to accept responsibility
- Demonstrated event coordination skills in the planning and implementation of large-scale events or programs
- Ability to anticipate problems, by using forethought and reasoning, and plan appropriately for their resolution
- Proven ability to make sound decisions in stressful situations
- Good computer skills in order to stay organized and productive
- Ability to juggle competing priorities and complete tasks in a timely manner
- Ability to work independently, as well as part of a team
- Experience building relationships and developing consensus within a diverse team of students, student staff and professional staff
Must have an open mind and be flexible when working with others
Additional Information & Hours
Part-time throughout the winter 2023 semester.
Full-time during the summer months.
- Must abstain from consuming substances during McMaster Welcome Week Orientation Training and Welcome Week *Dates To Be Confirmed*
- Promote and uphold the Code of Student Rights and Responsibilities (CSRR).
- Given the demands of the position during August and Welcome Week, the Residence Orientation Advisor may not hold another Residence Life Staff position during the same term (i.e. ROA in 2022 may not start the year as a CA in 2022-2023).
The Residence Orientation Planner (ROP) coordinates orientation and transition efforts for the first year on-campus student population, to advance the department’s Educational Priorities while aligning with the university’s Welcome Week Goals and Guiding Principles.
The ROP reports to the Coordinator, Orientation & Assessment, but may take direction from the Residence Life Management Team (RLMT) regarding programming. The ROP will also work with the university-wide Orientation Committee to help plan and support university-wide orientation programming efforts.
Welcome Week Goals
- Make connections with McMaster, your faculty, your residence or off-campus society, and other students
- Develop your own identity as a Mac student, within your Faculty and in your residence or off-campus
- Be safe and feel safe, both physically and emotionally
- Connect with academic, emotional and University support systems
- Meet and connect with other student leaders who are positive role models
Welcome Week Guiding Principles
- Equality so that first-year students are offered the same rights, respect and support as those already in the Mac community
- Freedom of Choice so that even though first-year students are encouraged to participate in all events of the Week, they are always free to choose when and how to join in
- Celebration of Diversity so that differences in gender, race, ethnic origin, sexual orientation and religion are recognized and treated with respect and sensitivity, and the special needs of students with disabilities are also respected
- Respect for Individuality so that all students are free to be different and can expect to be treated with respect
- Privacy so that first-year students are entitled to private space and time; even in residence other students should enter their room only if invited