Applying to Residence:
Upper Year/Returning & Transfer Students
Wait List Only
- An Upper Year/Returning student is defined as a 2nd, 3rd, 4th or 5th year student completing their first Undergraduate Degree at McMaster University.
- A Transfer student is defined as a student who has attended a post secondary institution and who will be completing their first Undergraduate Degree at McMaster University.
- Residence is not guaranteed to Upper Year/Returning students.
- Upper Year/ Returning students are welcome to apply to the waiting list.
- Students applying to the waiting list by the deadline of June 1st at 4:00pm EDT will be included in a lottery to determine the wait list order.
- Wait List numbers will be released via email and posted to your residence application one week following the deadline.
- Students applying to the Upper Year/Returning student waiting list after this deadline will be ordered by date and time of submission.
- must be a full-time student, enrolled in a minimum of at least eighteen units from September to April
- must have a minimum fall/winter average of 5.0(C) in at least eighteen units in the most recent academic year
What are the chances of getting an offer for residence?
This is difficult to predict as an offer can only be made after all First Year students have been accommodated and if/when spaces become available. There is no way to determine the timing of cancellations/withdrawals and students are encouraged to search for alternative off-campus accommodation.
If we are able to make residence offers to Upper Year/Returning students, we will contact students by McMaster email starting in early July.
- The Department of Hospitality Services requires all residence students to purchase a Meal Plan.
- Students living in traditional residences must purchase a Group A full meal plan. Students living in Bates and Mary E. Keyes Residence may select either the Group A full meal plan or the Group B reduced plans.
- If you have listed an apartment or suite room type as a preference but are assigned a traditional building, your plan will be changed to the corresponding Group A full meal plan.
- Hospitality Services may accommodate most dietary needs. If you have special dietary needs, please ensure you indicate this information on the Residence Accommodation section of the online application. Please also contact Hospitality Services (Ext. 24422) to discuss your Special Dietary needs. For further information see the Hospitality web-page. Meal Plan Information – Click here!